Local Guide: A Seafood Lover's Lunch at Sungai Sibu Laut

 


Last week, my friend and I decided to make a trip to Telaga Air for lunch. Our destination was Q Sinar Seafood & Shellout Restaurant, located along the riverbank of Sungai Sibu Laut in Kampung Telaga Air, Kuching, Sarawak.


Front view of Q Sinar Restaurant 

This restaurant has been on my food bucket list for the longest time, but somehow I never had the chance to visit until now. After hearing so many good things about the place, I had high expectations—and I'm happy to say that it did not disappoint.


Onshore fisherman boats of Kampung Telaga Air Kuching



Jetty of Sungai Sibu Laut

Q Sinar is known for serving fresh seafood, and that was exactly what we came for. The food was worth every ringgit we spent, and we left with happy stomachs and satisfied hearts.

For lunch, we ordered:

  • Salted Egg Prawns (500g)
  • Kangkong Tumis Belacan (small portion)
  • Kerang Rebus Serai (500g) served with sambal kicap

Salted Egg Prawns – 8/10




The highlight of our lunch was definitely the salted egg prawns.

What I liked most about this dish was the freshness of the prawns. As soon as I took the first bite, I could immediately taste the natural sweetness of the prawn meat. The texture was juicy, tender, and firm, which is exactly what you would expect from fresh seafood.

Unlike the creamy salted egg sauces that completely cover the seafood, this version was prepared in a dry style. The prawns were coated with fragrant salted egg crumbs that added a rich savoury flavour without overwhelming the natural taste of the prawns. The salted egg seasoning complemented the seafood beautifully, allowing both flavours to shine at the same time.

The combination of fresh, sweet prawns and the crispy, savoury salted egg coating made this dish the standout item of the meal. If you're visiting Q Sinar, this is definitely one of the dishes I would recommend ordering.

For me, this dish deserves a solid 8/10.

Kerang Rebus Serai – 5/10



I've always loved the simple and natural taste of fresh blood clams, so I was excited to try this dish.

The broth was prepared with lemongrass, asam keping, garlic, and fresh chillies. Together, these ingredients created a light, fragrant, and slightly sour soup that paired well with the seafood flavour of the clams. The sambal kicap served on the side added an extra kick and made the dish more enjoyable.

While it was fresh and comforting, it wasn't particularly memorable compared to the prawns. It was still enjoyable.

For me, this dish earns a 5/10.

Kangkong Tumis Belacan – Just Average



Last but not least was the kangkong tumis belacan.

I'm not saying it was bad—it was perfectly edible and tasted fine. However, there was nothing particularly special or memorable about it. It simply did its job as a side dish.

If you're visiting Q Sinar, my advice would be to focus on their seafood specialties rather than the vegetable dishes.

Final Thoughts


Good vibes hhehe


Flatlay photo of our lunch

Overall, I had a great dining experience at Q Sinar Seafood & Shellout Restaurant. The fresh seafood was definitely the highlight, especially the salted egg prawns, which exceeded my expectations.

If you're planning a food trip to Telaga Air, this place is worth adding to your list. The riverside setting, fresh seafood, and reasonable prices make it a great spot for a relaxing lunch with family or friends.

Would I come back again? Absolutely—but next time, I'll be ordering even more seafood!

Comments