Local Guide: Eating My Way Through the Kuching Food Festival




Going to a food festival hits differently. It is not like visiting a bazaar or a night market where you buy food and snacks, then head straight home. For me, a food festival is all about discovering unique delicacies, buying them in small portions, and tasting as many different foods as possible.

My suggestion? Eat your food immediately after purchasing it. That way, you can enjoy the original taste and freshness while strolling around and soaking in the lively atmosphere. If walking isn't your thing, there are plenty of seats provided throughout the venue where visitors can sit and enjoy their food while being surrounded by more than 300 food stalls.

This was my second time visiting the Kuching Food Festival. My previous visit was back in 2019, if I remember correctly. The Kuching Food Festival has actually been held annually since 1986. Originally known as the Kuching Festival, it takes place every July and August. Organized by the Kuching South City Council (MBKS), the event is held at the MBKS grounds and public parking area, transforming the space into one massive food paradise.

What makes this festival special is the variety of food available. You can find delicacies from different cultures and cuisines, many of which are not commonly found in everyday life. It is the perfect place for food lovers who enjoy trying something new.



Mochi coated in crushed peanut

This year, my friend Nadia and I bought several items to sample. Our food adventure included pork skewers, Taiwanese sausages, mochi, and angku kueh.

Our first stop was a stall selling colorful mochi coated in crushed peanuts. The flavors available were black sesame, green tea, mango, and strawberry. Out of all the flavors, strawberry and mango were my favorites. The mochi was soft and chewy, while the peanut coating added a pleasant texture. I would rate it a solid 5/10.




Taiwanese Sausages 

Next came the Taiwanese sausages, available in three flavors: original, spicy, and garlic. To be honest, I loved all three. The seasonings complemented the sausage rather than overpowering it. The spicy version had a noticeable chili oil flavor that gave it a nice kick, while the garlic version tasted rich and premium with its strong aromatic garlic notes. This was definitely one of my favorite purchases of the night. 6\10


Pepsi for dehydrated 



Aesthetic stall


Sarawak very own brewed beer 1602


Nadia having wheat and im having pale ale


After that, we tried the pork skewers. Every bite felt nostalgic. The pork was incredibly tender, especially the skewer that was shaped like an ice cream cone. The flavor was perfectly balanced with a slight sweetness that I personally enjoyed. It was simple, flavorful, and satisfying. 6\10



Pork skewers 

Finally, we saved the best for last: Angku Kueh with mung bean filling. Calling it delicious would be an understatement. The moment I opened the packaging, the fragrance of pandan filled the air. Even before taking my first bite, I knew this kueh was going to be special.

And I was right.

Every bite felt like an experience. The skin was soft, chewy, and tender all at once. The mung bean filling was rich, smooth, and practically melted in my mouth. Without hesitation, I would give this a perfect 10/10. It was easily the highlight of the evening and the one item I am definitely returning for.


Angku Kueh that im talking about. Ah Po Premium. FYI they own outlet near Jalan Song


Happy us ....

Our total food damage for the night was around RM80, which I think was reasonable considering the variety of food we managed to try. Overall, the Kuching Food Festival remains one of the best places in Kuching to explore different cuisines, discover hidden food gems, and create memorable experiences with friends.

And yes, I'll definitely be going back for another round at my favorite Angku Kueh stall.

Comments

Popular Posts